Tuesday 5 May 2015

An Interview with Altar Skate Shop's Chris Chambers




So let’s start from the beginning how and when did Altar start?
Altar started as I was fed up of traveling to get boards etc so thought why not get some stuff and sell at the park and I thought if I do that at least I'll always have a spare deck haha. So yer started selling out the back of a car and then got a really bad website and from there here it is!

So you've been operating from your house but recently moved into a shop, how did this change come about?
The shop was always something I wanted to do but I was waiting for my girlfriend and in the orchards the local shopping mall and was leaning against a small unit that was to let. I looked at it and was like wow that's the size of my room I could fill this shop up with all my stock. Then a week later I kept thinking about it and decided to go see what it cost and if I could give it a go. Also the council helped me and the mayor is backing it to!

Unfortunately where I’m from there was never a local shop, how important do you think a local shop is to a skate scene?
I grew up in the sticks but was always in Brighton in a shop called RE-Al, always loved going into a shop to pick up the stuff and see if I liked the shapes and get stoked on new stuff plus lurk and watch the videos. So I think it's really important for kids to have a place to see whats new, try things on, meet up and watch videos. I've only been open like 4 days but the kids are hyped to see it happen and always asking a million questions. It's weird to think that I'm the guy behind the counter and not the kid hyping out on the stuff. Even though getting a delivery is like Christmas still. So yer it's super important as it's a place to hang out get what you need, set stuff up, bug the owner then go shred.
Shop Necessities!!

I've always admired your zero tolerance of scooters haha, is there a reason for the disgust?
Ahh man I fucking hate them! They are so lame they are not meant for skate parks, always hated them! Never had one as a kid and never gave a shit about them! My hatred is simple. They get in the way and the kids who ride em are always rude little pricks (under 12 years old and its not bad over 16 kill yourself). Also a few years ago I was skating a rail and kid put his scooter on the rail as I started grinding it and I tried to save him from me crushing him and messed up my ankle real bad, at the beginning of summer too. NOT STOKED.

There have been quite a few new companies popping up in both the UK and oversees, would you say you’re quite perceptive to what will and won’t sell?
Man that's something I don't think about really. I just try support brands and companies that have my back specially English dudes like Heroin, Death and Milk! As for knowing what will sell or won't I just keep my eye on the net for who's got parts out and what's advertising and make sure I listen to mates and kids for what they are after. Put a triangle on it and it will sell.

Max Roton, Boneless, Photo: Rich West
How important do you think it is to have a strong social media presence? It seems these days it hard for companies/shops etc to stay afloat without one.
Ahh man I hate social media on a personal level but fucking love it for Altar! I love showing people what my riders are up to, what I sell and even clips of me trying to skate so people know I'm not bullshitting them being skater owned! I think it's the future for companies and skaters as kids are always on their phones and it's instant and that's what they want. The bad thing is that skate videos may be less hyped and even not made as much, but adapt or die.

Do you have any aims for the shop? Building a TF round the back or a team video aha?
I would love to do a video in the future for sure! No TF anytime soon insurance is bad enough just on the shop haha. I just want to keep slowly growing and make sure people support the right brands and support skater owned as I write this it's Altars 5th birthday! I just wanna keep it going until I can't skate then the next guy can take my place and keep the next scene going! Skateboarding is the best and someone has to get kids hyped and welcome them to the scenes and parks! Fuck being clicky we are all skaters!

Cheers Chris any last words?
This is for anyone who skates.
Stay true
Enjoy it
Welcome all
Skate skate skate
and
Convert scooter kids! They are just skaters in denial haha.
Pop in to Altar anytime! Or support your local!

Thanks Tim


Visit Altar at   www.altarskateshop.co.uk


No comments:

Post a Comment